Tuesday 1 February 2011

A Look To The Future: Laughable or Achievable?



I was all cryptic and mysterious at the end of the latest Stats post which you can read here. I would like to share with you a plan. It's a rather important plan, kinda lifechanging.

As some of you may know, I work for my local Police Force as a civillian staff member (Local Government civil servant basically). I take reports of crimes and incidents from members of the public. Lots has been happening at work, but at the same time nothing. I have done this job for over 2 and a half years and would like to progress, but there is no such thing as 'promotion' for 'equal opportunity' reasons. I can express no opinion towards this other than state the fact. I really want to have a career over a job and progress upwards, but recent revelations means this is unlikely to happen any time soon with where I am now.

So I have decided, I want to become a Police Officer... DUM DUM DUUUUUMMM!!! Now there is currently a recruitment freeze on Police Officers with our Force at the moment, but that's OK. The Force is still actively recruiting Special Police Officers. Now for those of you who may have no idea what an SPC is, it's a Police Officer in every sense of the word with all the same powers and responsibilities but they are volunteers. You give up at least 16hrs a month of your own time - two shifts basically, you don the bobby hat and utility belt and have a warrant card etc, but you get paid for none of it. It will give me a very good taste of the water as to what it will be like out on the streets, and I can test if it's for me or not. Also I think in not too many years, it will be a requirement that to join the 'Regulars' you must have been a Special.

Wiltshire Police


This means one thing: I have an actual real life goal to lose weight and get fit. The formal recruitment for the next intake is April time when assesments and interviews will take place, with a view to starting training in September. I have already asked for the application forms to be sent to me. EEP!!! One of the lovely aforesaid Lesbians is also looking to join up so fingers crossed I'll have someone to go through all this with.

So summer it is - thats 5-6months away to get fit enough to pass 5.4 on a bleep test. God I hate bleep tests.

Am I mad or may this actually work...? I'd love to know your thoughts :)

5 comments:

  1. I think it will be achievable you have 5-6 months to get in shape I remember the beep test is all about stamina and of course speed so I would say focus your exercise on this more running sustained running type exercises, timed activities to beat ..

    you have to at least try otherwise you will think "if only" thoughts

    Don't think of it as laughable think of it as buildable and it will become achievable :D you just gotta build on your weight successes so far x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah thank you sweet :) I am doing well, I did strenuous cleaning, cooking, gymming and will be walking pups when I get home - my exercise count is looking goooood on myfitnesspal. Makes up for the pancakes I had after dinner, ha!!!

    x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! i think this is a great goal! you'll do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah this is fantastic, and a really great reason to get in shape. Someone I know did it and loved it so much they've quit their lawyer training to join the police!

    Wishing you all the luck in the world =)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you think! How are you getting along? Any tips for me?